The history of Alexakis pita bread goes back to the mid-1950s. It all began when Ilias Alexakis, the father of the present owner, started learning the traditional technique for making pita bread for souvlaki at a specialist bakery in the Piraeus suburb of Drapetsona. After 45 years of ceaseless work, the time came for Ilias to make way for the next generation. So in 1996, the family business was handed on to Ioannis Alexakis, who was already extremely experienced, having worked for the company from an early age. With an eye to the future, and encouraged by his father, who continued to take an active interest in the business, Ioannis worked tirelessly to expand the company. By 2003, it had become clear that the steady growth in demand both in Greece and abroad had made another expansion necessary. New, modern equipment was acquired, for significantly increased output, and at the same time, the computerisation of the whole company began. In 2005, Alexakis moved to new, bigger premises, covering 1300 square metres, at the Menidi Industrial Park in Acharnes, putting the company in the perfect position to combine traditional values with a state-of-the-art production process.